A clean desk does wonders to the morale of any employee. It energizes and inspires you; and if the desk is clean, you are focused and work will get done. Moreover, it gives you a certain sense of pride, knowing that your desk is clean and clear, and sets a good impression on any visitors or customers you entertain. It doesn’t matter how big or small your workstation is, there are certain things that can be done to make sure that your desk is as neat as possible.
Here are six simple ways you can keep your office desk tidy.
- Only keep most used commodities on the desk Make sure that everything on your desk is there for a purpose. Items that are used on a daily basis, such as computers, stationery and such materials should be kept on it.
- Keep supply materials close by Make proper use of drawers and holders to keep items that you need nearby. Do not leave them around haphazardly, since it will just increase the amount of clutter on and around your desk.
- Make best use of the upwards space Placing computer monitors on an elevation is not just ergonomic level, but it also ensures that you have cleaner desk. If possible, install shelves above your desk, and keep binders, files and frequently used resources within arm’s reach. This also increases the amount of free space you have on your desk.
- Design and follow a system Create a system for what goes where: items that you write with, like pens, papers and markers should be placed nearer to your dominant hand for easy access.
- Minimize personal effects Personalizing your desk is a nice touch, however care must be taken not to overdo it. Any desk already tends to get cluttered without much personal effects, but if there are too many of them, then there is unwanted clutter on your desk.
- Organize cables and wires neatly Since most offices work with computers and other electronic peripherals, you can always see wires and cables at every office. When setting up these devices, you can always organize them neatly using cable ties and other material to bunch up wires neatly. This also minimize the need for cleaning and unnecessary confusion.